CSA member Jeff Schiller has alerted us to a new source of recipes, Farmer John’s Cookbook: The Real Dirt on Vegetables. If you enjoy the ease of accessing recipes online, you can find pdfs of the book’s 38 recipes online at Farmer John’s website, Angelic Organics. (Scroll down, they are at the bottom of this page.)
Contributed by Jeff Schiller
Jeff serves up some additional variations on cooking greens. That’s right, any of our hardy greens: kale, kohlrabi, turnip greens, pac choi . . . Enjoy!
- Using any coarsely chopped greens and stems, steam until wilted.
- Take steamer from pot and set greens aside.
- Add soup bouillon to water, dissolve bouillon fully, and then return greens to the pot.
- Stir and serve!
And to jazz this up, consider these options:
- Before steaming the greens, steam other veggies first. You can try garlic scapes, onions, and later in the season, zucchini. When these have cooked a bit, add the greens as directed above.
- Add a hard-boiled egg or two.
- Serve the dish over grain or pasta
- Season with fresh herbs.
During distribution you may have noticed a Just Food binder sitting around, chock full of veggie tips and resources. Well, CSA member Russell Tanenbaum has created PDFs of each section of the binder for easy at-home access. Simply click on a section name below to read the info.