Grand Street CSA’s Smackdown
at LES Flea
On September 15, 2013, Grand Street CSA and LES Flea presented a local food cooking competition to determine which CSA members would represent Grand Street CSA at Just Food’s Great CSA Smackdown. Fresh produce was provided by our farmers Norwich Meadows Farm. Special thanks to support from Qiana from Just Food; our Farmers, Zaid & Haifa; and our judges: Anat & Kaya of Cafe Petisco, Sanyu from LES Flea, Rose from the Abrons Art Center!
Flea Market shoppers, CSA members, and special guests joined our panel of esteemed judges to watch, as our two teams each stepped up to create a delicious dish with fresh produce from that week’s CSA distribution, a handful of staples and just 30 minutes to cook.
|Shafar WUJS: Jenna & Lisa|
|The Emo Eggplants: Dan & Caroline|
|Our judges support our mission of bringing local food to the neighborhood for everyone to enjoy.|
|Grand Street CSA’s MC Deb introduces the competitors.|
|Local Produce and Staples|
|Ginger – a surprise ingredient from Norwich Meadows Farm|
the runners up
Melon Cup Fruit Salad
Cup of Husk Cherries
1 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup of Honey
1. Cut fruit in slices.
2. Cut melon in half and scoop out insides.
3. Combine balsamic and honey in a small pot. Bring to a running boil on high heat. Continue on a low simmer for about 10 minutes or until mixture has a thick consistency. Take off heat and cool.
4. In a pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add cut apples and stir until golden, about 3 minutes.
5. Combine all fruit except melon in a bowl with balsamic reduction.
6. Neatly place fruit in melon and top with mint.
The Emo Eggplants
winners and reigning champions
Course one was a salad of melon & tomato with edamame & husk cherries tossed in balsamic/honey dressing & served on a lettuce leaf.
Course two was squash pasta (zuchini cut on our mandolin to mimic fettuccine & sautéed in butter to soften) with a spicy sour tomatillo sauce.
Course three was turnips, apples, nectarines, plums & ginger carmelized in butter & honey & served on an apple chip.
|Thanks to all our participants for a great event!|